Wednesday, August 22, 2012

What does it mean to be an American?

I asked some of my roommates and friends what it means to be an American. I mostly got typical answers one would expect but I got a few interesting ones as well.

"To be an American means to live a life of service. Our freedom has been founded and maintained through the act of service."

"Being an American means I can live free, do as I choose, and live a life full of choices."

"Being an American is about different people from different cultures living together in the absence of discrimination and embracing our differences. It is our diversity that makes us American."

"I am human before I am American, and I am compassionate before I am patriotic."

My personal favorite was the act of service quote followed closely by the last quote. I am pretty sure my friend told me he had heard that last quote somewhere else before. Either way, it still has has a powerful meaning behind it.
  

1 comment:

  1. Hi Todd, Thanks for posting the interesting comments. I like the first and last too. dw

    ReplyDelete